September 30, 2016
"Dementia in the 21st Century"
Sharon Kernen Ph.D., Licensed Neuropsychologist
Medical Dental Building, 465 St. Michael's Drive, Santa Fe, NM 87505
2nd Floor Auditorium
1:00 to 5:00 PM
4 CE Credits
$75 - NMPA Members
$55 - NMPA Early Career, Student and Life Members
$90 - Non-Members
“….for an individual with dementia, life is always like coming into the middle of a movie.”
With advances in medical technology, the old-age nemesis of dementia looms large for the population in general. After a brief overview of dementia and the various types, we’ll investigate:
* New DSM-5 terminology
* Diagnostic issues
* Recognizing dementia
* Troublesome dementia behaviors
* Symptomatic violence
* Caregiver burden
* Strategies for dealing with behaviors
* Nursing home as a solution
* Using pharmaceuticals to control unwanted behaviors
* Current research on alleviating symptoms
* Worldwide statistics
Not many of us will escape the effects of this old-age tragedy, either dealing with the condition within ourselves or coping with the effects on someone close to us. As psychologists, we have a healing role, as we are in a position to help alleviate caregiver’s psychological conflicts and spread awareness of the immensity of an ever-growing worldwide conundrum.
NMPA Friday Forum Policies
* NMPA does not accept reservations without payment.
* All cancellations are subject to a $15 processing fee.
* Registration payments are event-specific and are not transferrable.
* You must attend the entire session to receive credit. No partial credits will be given.
* We cannot award CEU certificates if you are 15 minutes late or leave 15 minutes before the conclusion of the forum.
Santa Fe Friday Forums are from 1-5 PM, Second Floor, Medical Dental Building, 465 St. Michael's Drive (on the corner of Hospital Drive and St. Michael's and adjacent to St. Vincent Medical Center)
Albuquerque Friday Forums are from 1-5 PM, Children’s Treatment Center, 6611 Gulton Ct. NE
*NMPA Forums are approved as continuing education for New Mexico psychologists and are accepted by the New Mexico Board of Psychologist Examiners. Historically the New Mexico Counseling and Therapy Practice Board and the New Mexico Board of Social Work Examiners have accepted continuing education approved for psychologists. Please check with your respective boards for details.