Saturday, May 13, 2017, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Registration opens at 8:00 am
CNM Workforce Training Center, 5600 Eagle Rock Ave. NE, Albuquerque, NM
NMPA Members $185
NMPA Early Career Members $165
NMPA Members in Training $135
Non Members $210
Early Bird Discount Available
6 Ethics CE Credits*
"Hot Topics in Ethics and Risk Management in Psychological Practice"
Since 1994, The Trust has produced continuing education workshops with the goal of increasing the risk management skills and strategies employed by professional psychologists, helping them protect themselves from adverse disciplinary actions. Over time, as thousands of psychologists have attended these presentations, the workshops have moved from basic concepts and strategies towards a more applied, integrated, and strategic approach.
In addition to the workshops, The Trust Risk Management Program has provided more than 50,000 consultations to The Trust’s insureds over its 20-year history. This workshop, “Hot Topics in Ethics and Risk Management in Psychological Practice,” focuses on specific areas of professional conduct that have consistently surfaced during these consultations. Topic areas covered include multiple roles and relationships, record keeping, patient suicide, limit setting and impasse resolution with clients, new challenges when working in settings where psychologists occupy multiple roles, conduct and conflict when operating in a legal arena, dealing with contentious child custody disputes, and how to reduce risk in the digital age.
- Summarize the basic principles of The Trust’s risk management strategy.
- Apply the risk management strategy to identifying and managing complex, high-risk dilemmas that arise in professional practice, including:
-risk management and self-care after the loss of a patient to suicide,
-managing clinical and legal issues in high conflict child custody.
- Develop a documentation strategy that meets the needs of patients, providers and third party payors and provide a
framework for releasing information in response to requests for information.
- Discuss how to deal with challenges presented by the digital, online world including online reviews, patient requests for distance therapy, and electronic information compromise.
- Discuss a risk management framework for managing difficult, uncooperative, high risk patients in a developing impasse.
Eligibility for Insurance Premium Discounts
Workshop completion earns 6 Ethics CE credits and eligibility to receive a 15% premium discount on your Trust Sponsored Professional Liability Insurance for your next 2 consecutive policy periods.
* IMPORTANT NOTICES: Those who attend the workshop and complete the Trust evaluation form will receive six continuing education credits. Please note that APA CE rules require that we only give credit to those who attend the entire workshop. Those arriving more than 15 minutes after the scheduled start time or leaving before the workshop is completed will not receive CE credits and will not be eligible for the 15% premium discount described above.
Refund requests are subject to a $35 processing fee. No refunds will be issued to "no-show" registrants. Registration fees are not transferable to other events.